1. A story that has been handed down for years and has some basis in fact is legendary.
2. Muttered means you spoke in a low, unclear way with your mouth closed.
3. Gaped means you stared with your mouth open wide in surprise or wonder.
4. People are snickering if they are laughing in a disrespectful way.
5. An insult is a remark or action that hurts someone's feelings or pride.
6. A fluke is a chance happening or accidental turn of events.
7. If you flinched, you reacted to something unpleasant by drawing back quickly.